Joshua 24:15

...choose you this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Diligence

My word for 2013 is diligence. But, here's our story...

Some years ago I got the idea to start a new Christmas tradition. Something that was unique to our family. After pondering and praying over it for a few days this is what I came up with. My husband and I wanted to find a way to draw attention away from presents, presents, presents. It seemed to us our girls received a lot of clothes and toys at Christmas. We are thankful that they are loved by friends and family. We just wanted to make sure that they understood the true meaning of Christmas. As is our tradition, they are allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve...and it's always pajamas. They look forward to it every year. But this particular year we introduced something new...

...Christmas gifts for baby Jesus.

I took a small open box and wrapped it in silver paper and tied green ribbon around it. The wrapping is not symbolic. At. All. It's what I had on hand and I had a short time to put it together. Before we opened gifts that Christmas Eve we talked to the girls about our new tradition.

In a nutshell...

We each choose one word (or short phrase) to describe an area in our lives that we want God to help us with that year. Our gift is that we commit in our hearts to be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit in this particular area. It helps to have just one word to focus on during the year. At different times through out the year we check in with each other to see how we're doing. Since the children are young we continuously find ways to help them see how God can use different circumstances in their lives. We talk about their gift, we pray about it and we point out how God has worked things out for them in each area. Here are some examples of the gifts we have offered our Savior in years past.

Obedience
Verse Memorization
Bible Reading
Time
Kindness

I was very excited when I saw One Word trending on Facebook this week. I'm not big on resolutions. I found out a long time ago that they don't work (for me)! But, when we started giving our gifts to baby Jesus...that worked!! I have concluded that those things which I do in an effort to change MYSELF cannot be accomplished. But, the things I hand over to the Lord and ask Him to change...DO. And the lasting effects are far greater than anything I can ever imagine.

Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us...

***This entry was scheduled to post on January 1st. Oops...

4 comments:

  1. Janet,
    I am a first time visitor and have been reading and enjoying your blog. I love your choice of the word 'Diligence'. Your choice of scripture (Ephesians 3:20 is powerful! Love that His power is at work IN us!!
    Thank you for visiting me, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the grace of God! Thank you for your continued encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Janet, This is a great post. Thanks for sharing, and for helping spread the word today about Pensamientos from Paradise. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope others are as encouraged by your blog as I am! :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments...it's always good to hear from you!